Make something fun out of your Halloween candy stash, or be like me and buy yourself a big ol’ bag of Jolly Rancher candy and go to town!
Watermelon Jolly Ranchers……DREAMY!!!!
If you know me well, you know that I am a serious chocolate aficionado. However, offer me a watermelon flavored Jolly Rancher and I am googly eyed every time!
the stuff of childhood memories
That right there is the memory of childhood for me…..along with Smarties candies that I used to play house with and pretend were medicine when my “pretend family” was sick.
Do you remember those St. Joseph orange chewable tablets when you were sick??? I used to think that the orange Smarties taste just like St. Joseph’s aspirin!
Oh my….totally off topic and dating myself here!
Another fond memorie includes delicious Tootsie Rolls. Grandma always had Smarties and Tootsie Rolls at her house and we would have little tea parties with a miniature tea set. Oh, the memories!
What’s your favorite jolly rancher flavor?
The first thing I do with this great big bag of Jolly Ranchers is to separate the flavors…and then hide the watermelon ones!
But the highlight of this post is the green ones. They are apple flavored and apple goes with caramel, so something special is coming with those green ones!
You can use the rest of them as well, but the green ones…..maybe I should be hiding the green ones?
For the main recipe here I use apple flavored Jolly Ranchers. After they are melted down and a stick is inserted, they are dipped in melted caramel.
I used two candies lined up, but you could certainly use three if you wanted to make them a bit bigger.
The caramel I used is called Peter’s caramel. I order it from Amazon and it is sold in a five pound block.
Wowza! That’s some serious caramel! But it is oh so delicious, and it is a way to simplify things here instead of having to make caramel from scratch.
Some prefer to use Kraft caramels, which are fine, but I love the taste of Peters and how well it works for many of the recipes I need caramel for!
Chocolate caramel turtles anyone? Caramel topped ice cream? Cutting off a big chunk and noshing? I won’t tell!
With the rest of the Jolly Ranchers you can make lollipops as well.
Simply line up two or three of them (I used three here) on your parchment lined cookie sheet and bake until melted. Be sure to insert the stick and twist it to cover right out of the oven just as you did with the green ones.
Everything tastes better on a stick. Don’t you agree??
Jolly Rancher Caramel Apple Suckers
- Green Apple flavored Jolly Rancher Candy
- Peter’s Caramel (Or Kraft individual caramels, with a little water added to thin)
- Sucker sticks
- Preheat Oven to 275° Put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Line cookie sheet with groups of two apple flavored Jolly Rancher candies. The candies should be touching. Leave a space in between them because the candy will spread. Bake for about 8 minutes until completely melted and spread.
- As soon as you remove the melted candy, quickly insert a stick into the center of each sucker and carefully twist the stick so that it is completely covered in candy. Work quickly as the candy will harden fast. Let cool until hard.
- Melt caramel in the microwave in 30 second bursts until melted. Dip each sucker in the caramel, let excess drip off, and lay flat to dry. Be careful…if caramel is too hot it will melt candy.
Yes, I admit it, it’s a clickbait headline. I’m guilty and I voluntarily throw myself at the mercy of the internet. But in my defense I couldn’t resist; after all, it sounds so crazy and out of…
This smoked salmon recipe knocked our socks off! Smoky, salty with a touch of sweet, it received rave reviews served on bagels with cream cheese.
My chili recipe is an often requested favorite for family and friends. With both ground beef and tender steak or chuck roast this recipe will soon become a hit at your house as well.
This year is a little crazy. Trying to decide what to get the man in your life shouldn’t add to the anxiety. Here is a great gift suggestion that will make Him smile!